UN: 47,000 displaced in Yemen since December

Nearly 47,000 people have been displaced to Yemen’s coastal city of Aden because of rising unrest in two cities since late last year, the UN said Monday.

"Escalating conflict in Taizz and Hudaydah since December 2017 has displaced nearly 47,000 people to Aden and other governorates in the south," UN Secretary-General spokesman Stephane Dujarric told reporters.

The situation in Aden was reported "calm", with schools, ports and airports operating as normal and humanitarian activities were resuming, Dujarric said.

"Although food, fuel and medical imports are flowing again through all ports, the blockade in the weeks leading up to Dec. 20, 2017, had a severe impact on Yemeni families and businesses," he added.

Dujarric said food prices during the blockade rose 47 percent above average compared to before the conflict escalated in March 2015.

Reference: Post date:

Add new comment